Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 19 "Did you just speak through the TV?"


A life that glorifies God is not something we suddenly attain. As we spend time in the presence of God, His glory both transforms us and radiates from us.

-Beth Moore, Breaking Free (book), 32


God spoke to me through a TV show today. It was weird, but I really can't deny it. A particular character just seemed to reflect me - it was the strangest thing I think - pretty much at the top of the strangest thing ever list I have going. Anyway, this character has the power to heal herself. She is strong she works for the good of mankind, yet she has a hard time getting close to people because she has also been really hurt in the past. The thing she was working through in the episode was learning how to take a risk and get close to people again. And, through all of this - she and her friends are considered freaks. Stick with me here....

I don't think I am her. I certainly can't heal myself - only God can do that for me. But, it occurred to me that I am scared on some level when it comes to making new friendships and relationships with people. In some ways I feel like my soul is too damaged to be of use to people. And, then there is the other part of me that has built a protective barrier. The main reason is just because I wonder if I am strong enough to endure the pain some relationships can cause. These last years, God has really been working to break down the walls, but through this silly show He showed me that I haven't really taken down the wall completely.

Thankfully, God knows me fully and I have no walls anymore with Him. But, trusting people is so scary isn't it? Sometimes trusting God can be scary too. Well, if you have been taken advantage of in the past - I think you can understand what I'm saying here. Ultimately, God has shown me the risks are worth the effort. And with regards to trusting Him - He is my very best friend and I am so glad He has taught me over the years that I can trust Him completely and that no matter what He is one friend who will never fail me.

The day continued as I listened to a webcast about "transformation through trials." After that, God enabled me to talk with a dear friend from Brazil. He reminded me of the value of an uninhibited relationship. Our friendship is so ordained by God - we rarely talk - in many ways I hardly know a lot about her - but because God rules our friendship it is one of the closest ones I have have ever been apart of. I trust her completely.

How does this all tie together? Well, Beth reminded me that we don't just suddenly glorify God in every aspect of our life. It is something that takes time. Honestly, I believe the process takes a life time. We just have to trust in the wisdom that God provides and believe that as we seek His will each day He will refine us into being servants who glorify Him. God transforms us through every trial that He allows us to experience. And, when He is at the forefront of our relationships, they succeed - whether they be temporary relationships or relationships that last a lifetime. Mainly, I just don't need to be afraid to ask God for help when I feel scared. And, I just need to be willing to throw my heart out there (with discernment of course) when He asks me too and trust that He is working it all for the good.

My Word from God today is this:

Now if any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives to all generously and without criticizing, and it will be given to Him. But let him ask in faith without doubting. - James 1:5-6


Song of the Day: Strong Enough by Stacie Orrico &
Healed by Shane Barnard & Shane Everett (no words, but totally amazing)

No comments: