Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 49 "Making a Change"



I have a lot on my mind today. First, I was blessed to spend the day with my mom. We had a good time visiting and hanging out. Second, for some reason, I've been thinking about Ash Wednesday, which was yesterday. And third, it is Thursday which means I get to continue my journey working toward being secure with my fellow siesta's and mentor.

So, before I reflect on my mentor moment. Let me tell you about this Ash Wednesday situation. I was catching up on a young adult blog. And, I came across an article telling me about Lenton season. I am not foreign to Lent season. I know about it, but I have not thought about the significance of it in quiet sometime. This article really challenged my soul and I have decided to participate. Now, I am two days behind on what is a forty day journey - so I am going to start counting tomorrow and just go two days past the original end date because I can still get done in time for Easter. Anyway, the point of Lent is to remember our human desires and our need for God. We suffer to remember Jesus' suffering in the days that led to His death on the cross. The process helps us to grow in our freedom as we say "no" to a desire in our life and say "yes" to God. It is a season of brokenness to lead us into a season of joy and into wholeness and restoration. This charges my soul up for many reasons.

First, there is no day of the year that compares to Easter. Since my salvation, it has been my favorite day of the year. I've always been filled with complete joy during this season and I don't really get why everyone doesn't consider this like the best day EVER. Coincidently, my birthday is also during this time of year and my favorite season is Spring. I am a spring baby and every part of me loves the newness of life that awakens all around. I could ramble on forever, but what you need to know is I LOVE EASTER. I just love it. So, I can't think of anything cooler than a way to my favorite day even better. I have never considered fasting to prepare for it. Yep, this will be cool - CRAZY HARD - but cool. OK. So, I will pray the rest of the day and decide what I am going to give up. But, I am really going to do it - here is the proof in the pudding I just put on my fridge:


Also, I've decided to stop making excuses and get back to Scripture memory. Yep, yesterday's mentoring moment sparked a fire of change in my soul. So, to help with my fast, and to start memorizing. I am starting with 1 Corinthians 6:12-13:

"Everything is permissible for me", but not everything is helpful. "Everything is permissible for me," but I will not be brought under control of anything.

This is just a reminder that in reality I am allowed to permit myself that which is before me. But, I can choose to recognize that it is not all helpful or beneficial to my life. This verse is a reminder that I can willingly choose to give up something for God. Not because I am being legalistic and creating rules for myself to become holy. But rather so that I can give up something I love to show God my willingness to go out of my way to love Him. I'm jazzed up and I can't wait to see what God teaches me during this time.

Well, I am going to reflect more on my So Long Insecurity insights tomorrow. But here is something that stands out to me in what I have learned thus far today:

You and I are going to have to come to a place where we stop handing people the kind of power only God should wield over us. Change will not come easy. Old habits die hard. But we can make the radical decision to rewire our security systems.
- Beth Moore, So Long, Insecurity, pg 35

As I work toward become more secure, I must realize that this change is not going to come easy. Just as I am working to change my mind and habits for this Lent Fast, I have to willingly change my thought patterns so that I can become secure and realize who I am in God and Christ. I am ready to kill a few bad habits. I am willingly to make the radical decision to change. I like this encouragement my mentor offers me today, it is just what I need to jump start the desire in me to change my whole life.

Be encouraged peeps. Peace out.

Song of the Day: Perfect People by Natalie Grant

No comments: