Monday, February 1, 2010

Day 32 "Surveying Ruins"


Monday's are quickly winning the race in my personal "favorite day of the week" contest. On Monday's so many glorious things seem to happen. I am usually jazzed up from worship and fellowship that I have experienced on Sunday. I usually feel hopeful and ready for a fresh start. I always feel geared up to get a lot accomplished with my life (though I don't always succeed).

Anyway, the best part of today really came during my time of "Breaking Free with a Friend." The lady I mentor every week is fast becoming the best friend I have ever had. This week we were working through Week Four of the Breaking Free series. One particular thing that stood out to me today in our reflecting came from Day 4 "Surveying Ancient Ruins." At this point, Beth is encouraging us to begin the rebuilding process in our life. We are learning about God's healing and the affects of sin. I thought the process of rebuilding was empowering so it is my focus for my 'mentor moment' today. The steps are:
  1. Agree to take an honest look back.
  2. Believe the truth over the enemy's lies.
  3. Discern the difference between rebuilding and preserving the ancient ruins.
  4. Accept God's appointment as reconstruction worker.
I find this a powerful motivator right now. It is clear that last month my focus seemed to be understanding that my past is not the thing that controls me, but rather the thing that empowers me to move forward toward becoming a more useful servant to God. The message today reminds me of how effective of a teacher the past can be. I am encouraged to take up the fight against the enemy and turn toward correcting any unbelief in any non-surrendered areas of my life.

The third point especially stood out in our discussions today. Here is what Beth said about it:

God never called us to preserve our ancient ruins. Rather than inspect the ancient ruin and then work with God to rebuild, we just keep revisiting and preserving and we never get over it. Without God, our only sure Restorer, that's about the best we can do. (87)

We aren't called to preserve the ruins. What a great mental picture this provides! Rather, we are to allow God to rebuild our ruins. It is just like what I learned as I studied the Inheritance series, we are to allow God to redeem the land overtaken by the enemy. Combining the concepts of Inheritance & Breaking Free it kind of looks like this in my mind: God allows me to have redeemed land AND a pretty sweet house built on that land in which I can flourish and become more of who God wants me to be.

Oh mano. And this was just PART OF our discussions today. This week had so many great nuggets to offer our souls (if you eat Chick-fa-la - think party platter size :O) Mostly, I left my conversations today with a clear understanding of the fact that God will rebuild the ruins of my life. I simply must cooperate with Him through the process as I grow and deepen my relationship with Him.

The other major lesson of today was to understand the effects of generational sin. In short, it is very worth while to discover the impact the sins of the father can mean to our lives. Particularly, I am challenged to realize the decisions I make impact those in my sphere of influence and will also impact my future children.

Well, today my charge to you is this: Let God build you a new house and remember somebody is always observing your behavior. Remember you are not tied to your past, but rather you are empowered by it!

They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations. - Isaiah 61:4

Peace out peeps.



Song of the Day: Empty & Beautiful by Matt Maher

No comments: