Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 166 "I Need Direction"


I am continuing on in my process to serve my parents. I don't have much else to add to this blog about my life today, but my mentor moment pretty much wraps up where I am. In A Heart Like His in a chapter entitled "Settling Down," God used it to give me some sage advice to accompany the other things He taught me today.

Did you notice that David kept asking until he had a specific answer from God? He did not want general directions. He wanted God's exact will for his life. David wasn't interested in simply getting to the throne. He wanted to get to the throne God's way (126).

I think I am drawn to this today for several reasons. First and foremost is that I have a deep desire for God to get downright specific with me. Being done with school and in need of a job is a vulnerable place to be. Especially since the only thing I want to do is work in the ministry. But, I suspect a little more time of service is in order before God allows me to do that full time. If I could do anything, I would pour myself into the study of becoming a better speaker and teacher by observing people I think do it the best. I know that is not a job, so for now I will just call that my hobby. Ultimately, I want to get to where God wants me to be "His Way." Which leads me to the next quote:

I'm learning to be more patient and to allow God to be more specific if He wishes. No matter how long we may wait for direction, we are wise to ask before we advance (126).

This is affirmation for me to continue to wait. I am on the edge of my seat with anticipation and readiness to get in the game and start working. But, unlike times in my past, I know I need to be more patient. I believe God is teaching me to let Him be more specific with me. So, I will adhere to the sage advice of my mentor which is a four step decision making process:
  1. I acknowledge my specific need for direction
  2. I continue to pray daily and study His Word
  3. I ask Him to help me recognize His answer
  4. I ask confirmation if I have a doubt.
There are two jobs I really want. Both doors are "cracked" open. I don't know what will happen with them, but I do know that if the doors do open - I need to process them via this method. A lot to think about. OK. I am going to peace out for now :O)

Later peeps.

No comments: