Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Day 89 "Evacuated"


So, today I was evacuated from my home. I wish I had pictures, but there was not time for them! After a crazy day yesterday - I planned to sleep in - hoping to enable my body to heal a bit. I was woken up by banging on my door. My dad and a fireman were out there. At first, I thought my house was on fire, but nothing was really registering because I was barely out of dream mode and I was trying to figure out what was going on. Then my dad was like, "Have you looked out your windows yet?" I was like, "No, I was still sleeping." And I pulled back the curtain and two feet of water was at the front of my house and a raging river not much beyond that. I had like five minutes to get some random stuff together and get out. It was one of the most insane moments I have been through in a while.

Interesting enough, I felt God's peace in the moment. I gathered my medicine - a pillow - a couple of change of cloths and I was off. I forgot my Bible though and was devastated. But, I couldn't go back because they were evacuating us all. So, I really hope I will still be able to get it. Chances are good. I am on the second floor, so unless my house crumbles I should be in good shape. Either way - God is in control and I know He has got my back. The biggest blessing was that my parents lived near by. They knew I was home and when they couldn't get me on the phone they figured something was up. My dad fought the firemen to get down to my house. I am glad he did b/c my phone had died and I was drugged up with my meds and sound asleep with no idea what was happening. I am so thankful for being rescued and that God had my back when I was sick. Swimming out would not have been for me today - trust me on that one.

My parents aren't necessarily on high ground. Once at their house we kept hoping the nearby dam was not going to break. The town people were on it like crazy and were all sure that it was going to fall. Miraculously it held on today. My parents had to virtually clear their basement - I was of no help with my sick self - but it was a race cause water was coming in. Now, the water has started to recede, so if we all make it through the night - we should be in the clear. It's midnight and we still have power, so things are looking good.

Well, my mentor came with me via my computer and insecurity book. Thankfully, I was too sick to unpack last night so I was able to grab my backpack with my computer and books. I'll be honest - things were hectic today and I didn't really have much time to spend with her. Forgetting my Bible has left me feeling out of sorts. God so often uses my time with Him to lead me to my mentor moment so I can't say I am feeling any real direction towards "a moment" today. But what comes to me is almost like a re-post from weeks ago about trust. Beth often talks about trusting God. That's what comes to mind right now, I just need to trust trust trust. So, though not very compelling to you, my mentor moment is just to trust. That's what God is telling me to do & if BM was on the phone I sense she would tell me to do the same.

Thank you for your prayers. I am off to try and get some sleep.

1 comment:

Heather W said...

I hope everything is ok for you and your family! You will be in my prayers!