Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 73 "More than a Bible Study Girl"


Happy Sunday Friends :O) Today, we are taking a break from the Genesis saga because I have something pretty important to share with you. You know Sunday's are all about giving a "Shout Out" to my peeps in the world who are inspiring me besides my mentor. Today, we are doing a re-shout because I want to tell you about a book I recently read: Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa Terkeurst.

You all ready know why I like and respect Lysa, but today I want to tell you why I like this book. One day while I was reading her blog, I noticed it. That led me to reading the synopsis, which led to me breaking out my Kindle. 60 seconds later, the book was mine :O)

Obviously, the title is all about where I am at right now in my journey. I want to know more. I want to go deeper. And now, God has blessed me with another mentor to help me get that done.

Lysa grabbed me from the introduction because she basically took time to thank me for reading her book and she made me laugh with her realness about being in a skirted tankini. I mean it is like that new old spice commercial. Look at the picture on the book. Then imagine her in a tankini. Then back at the picture on the front of the book. It just drew me in because it is just funny and offers a real picture of a woman living a regular life, but a life focused on becoming more via her relationship with God. But, laughter wasn't the only thing that kept me interested.

The essence is this, she wants to help women not only know God's truth but to help them feel equipped to live it out in their everyday lives. I thought, could this be more perfect for my life right now? The best part for me is that it is not just an informational book, but it is a challenge to become "more than a Bible study girl." What does that mean? Well, it means that we stop just reflecting and thinking on Jesus and actually take the time to let Him make real, life altering changes in our life. Lysa shows us that: Jesus can make a difference in our heart issues; Jesus can help our connection to God be more real; Jesus can make a difference in our relationships; Jesus can make a difference in how we process our struggles; and, Jesus really does have a calling for each of our lives.

Her honest approach to the topic really, "Had me at hello." Her deepest desire, "is to love God and let His love work through [her] to positively impact those around [her]." You should know enough about me by now to know that a person like this is someone I want to glean from. But here is why you should want to learn from her as well. She is vulnerable in a way that is rare in books today. Take a look at this quote:

"Until then, I'd saved myself for marriage. It was a religious rule I'd carefully followed. But my bitterness toward God numbed my conscience and helped pave the way for rejecting many of my religious convictions. Life became a wild party full of temporary moments of happiness. The deeper I sank into this lifestyle, the more desperate I felt."

We have all been there haven't we? A place where we feel completely broken and beyond repair. This is a journey you want to read. Her story is not only inspiring, but it will teach you a great deal about how to live for Jesus like you mean it.

Happy reading peeps. Feel free to let me know what you think.

No comments: